Bambi & Birdy

Bambi & Birdy

Donnerstag, 6. März 2014

Lent 2014

I'm a tiny bit late to the show, but I guess God will forgive me as my intentions are pure.
(to clarify...I am not a Christian but obsessed with Christianity and sincerely hope that no one will feel offended by me taking up Lent)
Yesterday Lent 2014 started and I am so very ready to stop worrying about everybody's feelings all the time. Everybody's. People I don't know that well, people that don't like me that much, fictional characters in novels... nobody seems to be excluded from my sheer endless capacity to worry. While I am a strong believer in kindness and compassion, my kind of worrying does not get me or anybody very far. It mostly drains me of my energy, worsens my insomnia and makes me so paralyzed that I cannot focus on the more important things in live...such as actually showing my kindness (towards myself and others) in action (if you're only mildly interested in 'faith in action', I can only recommend Jim Wallis' 'Faith Works').
So- for the next 40 days, I'll try to stop being a worrier and focus on my (barely non-existent) pragmatic side.
What about you? Do you give something up for lent?

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1370864791838155.png

Ich bin ein wenig spät dran mit meinem Beitrag, aber hoffe, dass Gott mir vergibt und erkennt, dass meine Intention vom rechten Fleck kommen.
(Ich möchte kurz klarstellen, dass ich kein Christ bin, sondern schlichtweg besessen von Religion, und hoffe sehr, dass niemand sich angegriffen fühlt, wenn ich trotzdem an der Fastenzeit teilnehme)
Gestern hat die Fastenzeit 2014 offiziell begonnen und ich fühle mich mehr als bereit die nächsten 40 Tage damit aufzuhören mich obsessiv um aller anderen Menschen Gefühle zu sorgen. Alle Menschen. Menschen, die ich nicht mal besonders gut kenne, Menschen, die mich nicht besonders mögen, fiktive Romanfiguren...niemand scheint sich meiner unendlichen Kapazität mir Sorgen zu machen entziehen zu können. Ich bin ein großer Freund von Mitgefühl und Freundlichkeit, aber meine Art des unendlichen Grübelns raubt mir Energie, verschlimmert meine Schlaflosigkeit und lähmt mich so sehr, dass es mir nicht mehr möglich ist mich auf die wichtigen Dinge zu konzentrieren- zum Beispiel tatsächlich Mitgefühl und Freundlichkeit aktiv umzusetzen (falls ihr auch nur ein wenig interessiert an 'Glauben in Aktion' seid, möchte ich wärmstens Jim Wallis' 'Faith Works' empfehlen).
Also- während der nächsten 40 Tage werde ich damit aufhören ein weltklasse Sorgenmacher zu sein und mich stattdessen auf meine (zugegebenermaßen unterentwickelte) pragmatische Seite konzentrieren.
Gebt ihr auch etwas auf während der Fastenzeit? Und wenn ja- was?

1 Kommentar:

Saskia hat gesagt…

So many many days later, I finally got around to leaving a comment. (Maybe I should be working on timeliness for Lent..) This is a great goal to be working towards..also, have you read Alain de Botton's Religion for Atheists? It might be interesting for you as a non-believer obsessed with Christianity..I've heard very good things about it.